Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Diversity in Literature

Switching gears into multiculturalism, I feel that literature can be a great conveyor of widespread cultural attitudes as well as revolutionary ideologies regarding diversity. Daniel Hade's article proved to be an interesting one. While at times I disagree with some of his ideas, these deterrents were certainly outweighed with valuable insight on how we perceive literature and the world around us. Although I don't think I could see "The Lion King," one of my childhood favorites, as a commentary on gender roles, Hade makes me think to look deeper for these meanings into the texts that don't always have a clear message or theme about such issues. "Reading is inherently social and is dominated by culture. And the meanings we hold about race, class and gender... mediate how we interpret text" (Hade 3). When introducing and discussing these meanings in the classroom, Hade advises a slightly guided teaching strategy. He struggles with a learning-based approach and one that is too leading, so I think finding that balance, no matter what you are teaching, is imporant. He also states if you are too forceful with these topics you run the risk of "denying my students' freedom to make their own meaning" (Hade 5).

To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic novel utilized in this respect. While it is commonly used for good reasons, I think this text would be best supplemented by more raw pieces on discrimination. Prose pieces and poems are favorable options because they are not long and provide a contrast to the novel. The video really showed how powerful assimilation activities can be if they are done correctly. At first I was a little shocked to see something like this done with children so young, but I think the simulation was a complete success and it was done carefully and smartly. I have heard of such studies before as the one the teacher did correlating the children's academic performance with their position within the class, but in a modern sense it never hurts to be reminded how many students have private issues going on and are not able or willing to focus on their studies

Overall, from my readings I feel that I have learned to 1. look for multiculturalist views in texts where I wouldn't usually think to look 2. create opportunities to discuss these themes with your class.  With the second of these comes a question I would like to ask my fellow bloggers... How should you teach in a way to challenge your students and encourage them to look for multiculturalistic attitudes in their texts and everyday lives? Is it at all possible to change students' perspectives on learned cultural issues and beliefs? If so, how? I think one of the best ways is relating it to the students' lives and putting the concepts in a modern sense. We as English teachers will be teaching history when we teach literature because the latter is framed within the context of the time period. Texts we read today are viewed as classics mainly because they made a difference in their time, and when the students are given enough supplementary information to put the piece in that context, they might be able to predict the social consequences that were invoked.

7 comments:

  1. I think Hade made it clear that there are ideas in "The Lion King" that children and even some adults are not aware of. Hade's daughter even had said that she believed that revealing the gender roles seem to "ruin" the story. Is this because children like to live in a world where their interpretations are always right? It may be because children do not want to think of a classic movie in a different way; that will put a bad image or taste in their mouth. Are we as teachers supposed to make students aware of discrimination and "ruin" the story or should we let them live their "childhood fantasies?"

    Great ideas Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, and to run with what Heather's adding here...it's not uncommon for students to tell their "English" teachers that they're "ruining" the novel by asking them to probe for deeper social or political meaning. Isn't this true? I'm sure that many of us have at one point felt this way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on the fact that balance is a key to teaching successfully. I don’t think that any “one” method works the best. You have to combine all the knowledge and information you have, to create one great method of your own! Also, using the same type of practices over and over again would become very monotonous for both you and the students.

    I also was pretty surprised when I first watched the video by how young the students were. I think it was great that it was done at this young age however because that is when children learn the most. I think that the fact that they were taught this lesson about racism and discrimination early on, really helped to make them think more critically about their beliefs and concepts as they grew up in society, which showed when they were interviewed again when they were older. They explained how they had learned so much from that lesson which I thought really showed that Jane Elliot’s teaching was effective.

    In regards to the question about whether or not it is possible to change students’ perspectives on learned cultural issues and beliefs, my opinion is that this is very tough and not truly possible even though in a perfect world we want it to be. Even though we may teach in a classroom about being open to diversity and issues of racism, etc. I think that whatever is taught in the home is what ultimately sticks with the student. I think the student’s after-school life has such a big effect on them that the beliefs taught during that time are the ones that truly stay with the child. I feel this way just by seeing the power that being read to at home as on a student’s reading ability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky,
    To answer your question, "How should you teach in a way to challenge your students and encourage them to look for multiculturalistic attitudes in their texts and everyday lives?"
    I think that we, as teachers, should frequently have our students free writing. We could accomplish what you've asked by initiating a semi-guided free write where the students would be able to write and make their own correlations between what they read and how they live/have lived.

    I also think you brought up a really important point that I haven't heard much in my various teaching/education classes: "...in a modern sense it never hurts to be reminded how many students have private issues going on and are not able or willing to focus on their studies."

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you think it would be effective to use poems to incorporate multiculturalism. I think that would be a good idea as well because those authors typically wrote about their experiences and had much more power with their words then those who write from an outside perspective, such as Harper Lee. I mean I think To Kill A Mockingbird is a good piece but I don't think it is effective in teaching lessons that are too deep. The experiment, on the other hand, I think is very effective. I just think it is hard to believe that students that young could turn on each other like that. The article we read did not speak to me like it did to others. I think the author had good points but they seemed too forceful. I think it is important to look deeper in to texts and movies but not to OVER analyze them. I mean the Lion King being about masculinity is nice and accurate but sometimes I think people need to just let things alone. I don't think anyone has a right to mess with a Disney classic, particularly in front of their kids. Teachers do have a habit of ruining books by throwing in all that criticism in a high school classroom. How do we know as teachers how deep to dig without ruining the book for students?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Travis's words fit my thoughts: "it is important to look deeper in to texts and movies but not to OVER analyze them." I disagree with Hade's gender analysis of The Giving Tree. I think that it is easy to find any meaning that you want in a text. And while it is great that you can find meaning from a text in that way, I do not think that meaning should be assigned to the author or text.

    "Is it at all possible to change students' perspectives on learned cultural issues and beliefs? If so, how?"

    I say, YES! This can be done by constantly challenging students and making them uncomfortable. I really like the ideas of simulations and role-playing in the classroom. Another thing that I want to try is having students argue opinions that are opposite to what they believe. For example, (using To Kill a Mockingbird), a student who states that Mr. Ewell was cruelly out of line to blame Tom for assaulting Mayella would need to argue that Mr. Ewell's actions were rather a natural reaction for a poor white man in the 1930s.

    This kind of change is not easy, but I fully believe that it is possible if we are able to invest in getting ourselves and our students to stretch into areas of discomfort.

    ReplyDelete