Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Writing is the life of the composition party!"

Anderson is probably my favorite grammarian that we are learning from at this point in the semester. He takes a somewhat casual approach, but implements strategies that are usually quite agreeable. I like how he talks about the writer's journal as the staple of teaching effective writing. His "mini-process" of writing seems to be effective because it gives students a space to write freely and express themselves on issues that are relevant to them. If I had to take one quote away from this lesson, it would be this: "It's important for students to see how puncuation works to hold and connect larger texts together." (33) Examples come from the writing of authors, the teacher and of course, the students. The writer's eye (I) activity made me think of the students as poets for some reason. Being a fan of poetry, I think this genre would provide some great nontraditional examples of creative writing for students. In fact, I believe I will look at some poetry for my next sentence stalking! The student-led writing individualizes their approach to writing and conventions - it makes the experience relatable and interesting. Anderson even gives guidelines on specific ways to make these methods work, which is really helpful. But what exactly makes his "Editor's Checklist" different from the others? Is it simply the way in which he is using these tools?

In the beginning of Chapter 4, Weaver provides an example of an almost successful writing lesson. She says what is missing from this mini-lesson is consistency, meaning and a strong follow-up. However, I think the dreaded grammar worksheet is what did it in! Weaver includes a passage saying how we don't teach kids to learn all the gears and parts of a car before teaching them to drive, so why try to teach them every part of speech? It is parallel to Anderson's "Express Line" editing sessions - just getting the items you need. I really loved the student's sentence: "I felt the wind going through the trees like ice cream melting in the summer." The teacher noticed that the student was using -ing verbs, but I noticed that she used a simile! It shows the extent to which our language is learned, not taught. Again, I am eating up these specific strategies that are provided (research and experience included!). However, I again wish to challenge their effectiveness in the name of Murphy's Law... for example, the focus lesson. Weaver says that all it takes "is a general invitation: '...I'm going to teach more about this at our writers' table in about five minutes" (66) and she assumes that you will get some takers. What if this isn't enough? Also, Anderson and Weaver both bespeak their concerns about teacher conferences due to the sheer lack of time to talk with each student. But Weaver discusses some solutions for this problem too; like, try to keep it short, sweet and to the point. The subsequent activity, called demonstrations, showed to me a principle that I think we learned in Ad Lit: sometimes your students will respect you more if you do the assignments along with them. It puts you down to earth on their level and shows that you're not too busy to focus on the task as well (even if you are!).

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your comment about the worksheet ruining the teacher's lesson in Weaver's example! I didn't remember how painful those worksheets were until I was looking through examples of them for my Artifact Analysis paper.

    I also really appreciated what you wrote about teachers taking time to do work with the students. I think that this approach would work not only literally, but also in simply portraying the attitude that "we are all going to learn this together." We talked about something similar in my Teaching Reading to ELL class. It can be beneficial for students to see their teachers make mistakes. This way they don't have to feel so intimidated or afraid to make their own mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sometimes your students will respect you more if you do the assignments along with them. It puts you down to earth on their level and shows that you're not too busy to focus on the task as well (even if you are!)."
    I really enjoyed your passage and thought you brought up some great ideas about teaching grammar. I also agree that Anderson is my favorite grammarian so far. I love his ideas and the way he educates his students. :)
    I copied and pasted a section above, because I really feel like this is correct. If the students know that you are participating with them during the entire writing process (or even reading process), then they will respect you and also respect the lesson a lot more. It shows that we do CARE about our students and their education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you raise a good point about being more down-to-earth with your students. Even if teachers create a safe, non-confrotational environment for their students to learn how to imporove their writing, I feel as if it takes a while for students to realize that they are free to express themselves and yes, make mistakes in their writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to agree with Tricia! I love that quote! It is so true. I keep saying again and again that I truly believe that students will be more willing and interested to learn if they have a teacher who seems just as willing or interested. Some of my best professors and teachers are ones that I remember for their passion. Passion for the subject and passion for the students. If you don't make the effort to come down to their level and show them that you are really invested in what and how they learn, they will WANT to show you that. They'll want to make you proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "His 'mini-process' of writing seems to be effective because it gives students a space to write freely and express themselves on issues that are relevant to them." -- I think we'd all be surprised at how true this sentence can be sometimes. "relevant to them" being the key word. To me it seems that teachers are trying to cram works they believe to be relevant into students mind, rather than letting the student have a voice in the relevance.

    Not to piggy back after comments from Tricia and Tash but they are right. This is a great quote and something I think all teacher's should keep in mind; "sometimes your students will respect you more if you do the assignments along with them. It puts you down to earth on their level and shows that you're not too busy to focus on the task as well (even if you are!)" During free writes during my Shakespeare my teacher (who was also an English teacher)would always write along with us. She determined the class to be on par, her as just the oldest sibling rather than a mother or a father. The perspective helps guide students and does not discourage them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you guys all liked the part about the teacher as a non-confrontational presence in a safe classroom environment, as Krista put it. Probably now more than ever, students are afraid to share their deserving work out of fear of what their teacher or peers will think. Also, Kelsey, I really like your metaphor for the teacher as more of an older sibling than a superior authority. That is such a cool way to think of it! The best way is to steer students toward finding the concepts themselves. Like you said, the teacher should provide guidance, not discouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I typically think of teaching grammar in a very formal, expository essay format. So, I love that you talk about finding grammar in poetry! It is so true that grammar is so useful in every single kind of writing, but the English classroom always seems to limit it to formal essay writing. (Perhaps I should not be so general... My experiences with grammar have seemed to limit it!)

    Similarly, I also really like that our authors are suggesting that we use children books in our secondary classrooms! I find that very innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Weaver says that all it takes "is a general invitation: '...I'm going to teach more about this at our writers' table in about five minutes" (66) and she assumes that you will get some takers. What if this isn't enough? "

    I like that you question this tactic. I mean really, what if!? Some students don't even realize they need the help and if you give a "general invitation" then how are THOSE students supposed to know? Also, those that do feel the need to work one on one at a writer's table may feel embarrassed in front of their peers to be the only one realizing they need the extra help. It's a tricky situation to solve because on one hand it does show that the teacher WANTS to help on a more intimate level but on the other, some students may not be able to gather up the courage to be the one and maybe only to ask for guidance.

    ReplyDelete