Wednesday, March 28, 2012

M*G*P

I am excited to work on this multigenre project, but I realized that it will be a challenge to me as well. As my eyes scanned over the sample multigenre assignment, I started to think about the role research will play in my MGP. If taking a research-based approach, I might ask myself, What would I want to investigate? What about grammar interests me? Dr. Shannon reminded us to include ideas from our Weaver, Anderson and Noden readings as well. No matter what, I will have to develop my own grammatical thesis in relation to the overall theme of my piece. I know it sounds a bit dry, but maybe I will do a unit lesson plan or something geared toward a student. In a way, I want to think of something more creative, but maybe I can just inject the creativity into my lessons. A time capsule or something of that fashion would be really neat! But I know I am putting the cart in front of the horse, since my research and theme should be intertwined. After all, the MGP is supposed to be about stressing meanig over form, among other things. I'm sure everything will fall into place when we have discussion this week in class.

As for the conclusion of our lit circles reading, I have to admit I am kind of glad not to be grappling with Lynne Truss anymore! She is very sarcastic (which I am too) and her anecdotes are, at times, way off topic to her argument. But I do recognize some of the true and better points she makes. Her outlook on the world as a place "of plummeting punctuation standards" (1) and "low[ered]... intellectual aspirations" (xxiii) is not without veracity. While the overabundance of mistakes on public signs, banners, carvings or whatever else she points out are quite disturbing, does it change the meaning of the text? To a stickler, English teacher, English major, or anyone else educated/interested in puncuation, the answer is yes. But most people viewing these flaws take away the same message. So is it really a problem? I think that is Truss's whole point, and I have to agree. Yes, the English language is complex and sometimes arbitrary, but the real problem is people's apathy toward and separation from English as a means of educated communication. What does she suggest to do? Show people the ways of their mistakes (you can always use her puncuation repair kit) by correcting them!

No comments:

Post a Comment