Monday, April 9, 2012

Anderson's Analyses of Adjectives and Adverbs

In just ten pages, there are outlined three adjective- and adverb-related mistakes made by writers: which-who-that confusion, and misuse of adjective and adverb clauses. As we began with adjective clauses, the first thing that came to mind during my reading was Noden's brushstrokes: he taught us how to creatively clarify and diversify our sentences with these techniques. I feel like I am good ont he adjective use, as we have practiced this a couple times in class as well. Anderson also provides a simple explanation for the uses of "which," "who" and "that." But he also used "where" in some of his examples, and to be sure I usually only use this word for places in formal writing. Otherwise, I will replace it with "i which" or something that I feel is more suiting. Converstationally, I will use where much more. It must be so frustrating to be an ELL trying to remember and contextualize all these exceptions of the English language! With adverb clauses, we return to AAAWWUBBIS, which I honestly forgot about! So I am glad we are going to refresh on this technique. It is kind of difficult to grasp for me, just because I was never really taught anything other "Lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here!" While it is certainly integral to define the parts of speech and their functions, real reminders like AAAWWUBIS will be more helpful to writers because they are applying what they are learning. Lynne Truss may say italics are a cop-out, but I find it important to stress this application process! Since building our classroom pedagogical assessments of one of the bases that grammar should be taught alongside writing, I see the two as inseparable now. Just one change like that can truly alter the entire classroom dynamic and effectiveness. It is funny that Anderson suggests using "The Human Sentence" strategy because Kelsey had this idea for our literature circles presentation. I think it will be like an interactive version of Krista's sentence-building activity in which we used the post-it notes. I believe our lit circles presentation will be a good one, at least because Lynne Truss does a good job of explaining some of those grammatical rules we have all pondered mulitple times in an understandable fashion (even if she takes the bizarre, roundabout way to get there!). I have my own ideas for teaching the class about the uses of the colon and semicolon, aka "Airs and Graces!"

No comments:

Post a Comment